It is likely that your lawn will need tidying up around the edges and there are a few tools that can help.
Lawn shears tend be unpopular because they can be heavy and too short in length, which can cause back and neck strain. There are models which are lighter and longer, and details are on this website.
Electric grass trimmers are good for use on small lawns, overgrown lawns, and areas of long grass next to walls and around trees. Most are powered by mains electricity and cut the grass with a nylon cord. Here are a few general points on electric grass trimmers that you might want to consider:
- Some models cut the vertical edges of lawns and therefore replace traditional lawn edging shears.
- Basic models work only on flat areas and some of the lighter models can be used with one hand but have a smaller cutting capacity.
- Heavier duty models (and cordless versions), are usually fitted with an auxiliary handle. This gives more control, however many trimmers are unwieldy to use.
- If you are a strong wheelchair user, you may be able to use a lighter electric grass trimmer, but only use it for short periods to avoid straining your arms.
- A common problem with electric grass trimmers is that the nylon cord becomes jammed in its cartridge and is very difficult to remove.